Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Newspaper Article - Emily and Dionne

Bus and Car Accident, Great Impact

SINGAPORE - A school bus and a parent's car collided at the front gate of the School of Science and Technology, Singapore (SST) yesterday during the early morning traffic rush.

The accident happened at around 7.20 am, causing the whole stretch of road to be congested. It was said to be one of the worst traffic jams that ever happened in Singapore. Mr Tan, the bus driver claimed that the cause of the accident was the parent's car sudden swerve into the lane. He was not able to brake in time to stop the bus from crashing into the car. Ironically, the car was trying to avoid a blue Honda Civic, which had suddenly turned into the lane, travelling in the opposite direction.

Mrs Lee, a resident of Clementi Avenue 6, happened to be walking by and witnessed the accident. She said "I was walking on the pavement when I heard a loud crash. I turned around and was shocked to see the car accident. I called for the ambulance immediately."

The ambulance arrived 15 minutes later, and Mr Lim, the driver of the car, was whisked away to the hospital as he seemed to sustain some injuries. Thankfully, the students inside the bus just experienced a bit of a bump, and no one was hurt. However, the student in the car, Troy Lim, was more than a little shaken up, and he was still quivering as his fellow peers helped him out of the car.

"I saw my father suddenly change the direction and I sensed that something was wrong. So I buried my head in my hands and ducked for protection. I was terrified, afraid that we were going to crash into the tree nearby, but luckily we did not. I only suffered minor scratches on my arms, but it was a truly terrifying incident," said Troy Lim.

Mr Chua Boon Hua, principal of SST, apologised on behalf of the school for what had happened. The school is working with the Land Transport Authority to make the directional signage more obvious to the users of the roads to ensure that such accidents would not happen again.

Investigations are still going on as police are still trying to verify the cause of the incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment